- Entry to this unit is at the discretion of the center. To facilitate the assessment of a learner’s prior learning and proficiency in English, preliminary tests examining the learner’s reading, writing, listening and speaking skills will be provided to the center by UK Awards.
This unit is designed for learners whose first language is not English and need basic access to the language. The aim is to equip them with beginner-level skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking in simple English. This unit employs familiar contexts of work and study to enable learners to make associations and apply their learnings readily.
Learners who complete this unit will be able to:
- Understand familiar names, words and very simple sentences like in notices and catalogues
- Write simple messages and fill in personal details in forms
- Recognize familiar words and very basic phrases concerning themselves when spoken to slowly
- Interact in simple ways provided the participants are willing to rephrase and repeat themselves
Outcome 1: Reading
- Recognize and understand familiar names and words in a text
- Comprehend very simple sentences
Outcome 2: Writing
- Write short, simple messages
- Write occasion-appropriate greetings
- Write personal information in a simple manner
Outcome 3: Listening
- Recognize basic words and phrases
- Comprehend basic questions pertaining to oneself and one’s surroundings
Outcome 4: Speaking
- Answer basic questions pertaining to oneself and one’s surroundings
- Interact in a simple way given participants’ assistance
Topics And Contexts
The qualifying test will assess the learner’s comprehension of the following topics.
Awarding of the Certificate of Proficiency will be based on the student’s performance on the qualifying assessment test. In this test, 30% marks will be reserved for the reading component, 30% for the writing component, and 20% each for listening and speaking components. The weightage details of the assessment test are as follows:
Component 1: Reading
The reading component shall consist of three questions. Question A and Question B will be based on a comprehension text each and shall be worth 10 marks each. Question C will be based on a third comprehension text and shall be worth 10 marks.
Component 2: Writing
The writing component shall consist of three questions. Question A and Question B will be guided writing questions and shall be worth 10 marks each. Question C will be a composition question and shall be worth 10 marks.
Component 3: Listening
The listening component shall comprise two multiple-choice questions worth 10 marks each.
Component 4: Speaking
The examination for the speaking component shall be conducted by the center. The questions will be provided to the center by UK Awards and shall test the learner’s grasp of the listening and speaking and sociocultural knowledge topics listed in the Topics and Contexts section of this document.
The Certificate of Proficiency shall be awarded by UK Awards based on the learner’s performance on the qualifying assessment test. The criteria are as follows:
- Pass: a minimum of 40% marks
- Merit: >60% and <75% marks
- Distinction: >75% marks
- Lectures 4
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 100 hours
- Skill level Beginner
- Language English
- Students 200
- Assessments Yes